The Bodrum Castle was built by Saint Jean Knighthood between 1406-1522 and is dedicated to Saint Petros. It is one of the most remarkable, solid, and authentic castles in the Aegean area. During the construction, they brought the blocks mainly from the Mausoleum, which is accepted as one of the seven wonders of the ancient world and neighboring ancient cities. After the conquest of Rhodes, the Ottomans captured the castle from the knights in 1523. they converted it into a prison in 1895.
The Museum of Underwater Archaeology: The first underwater excavations took place at Turkish coasts in the 1960s, and the Bodrum Castle was organized to exhibit the findings from underwater. The museum was selected as the best museum in Europe and received the European Museum of the Year Award in 1995.
The mausoleum was built between 353-350 BC for Musolos, the Carian King, by his sister Artemisia II of Caria. The Mausoleum was designed by the architect Satyros and Pythius.
The tomb was around 45 m in height, and the four sides were ornated with reliefs, and four different sculptors decorated each side. After the tomb was completed, the Antipater of Sidon declared it one of the world’s seven wonders. Mausolus started the tomb before he died, then continued by his sister Artemisa. She invited the most talented sculptors of the time that even Scopas, who had supervised the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, came to Halicarnassus (the ancient name of Bodrum).
The tomb was centered in the middle of the structure, stairway flanked by stone lions leading to the top; stone warriors mounted on horseback to guard the tomb at each corner.
It is unknown when and how the Mausoleum came to ruin, and maybe the earthquakes damaged it, or the following civilizations used or recycled the Stones throughout history.