Avanos is the most historical town in Cappadocia where Daily life continues. According to the last researches, the history of Avanos dates back to Hittites that the town was firstly named “Zuwinasa,” which means the land of earthenware.
The oldest functioning building is Alaaddin Mosque which the Seljuk Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat built-in 1202. Avanos is settled near the longest river of Turkey, which is called Kızılırmak (Red River). The river was called “Marassantia” by the Hittites, “Halys” by the Romans. Avanos houses the best pottery and earthenware makers in Turkey.